Getting published is a real be-yatch! Hear about my ups, downs and a few random rants in between.

Friday, April 28, 2006

Why Yes, I Am Obsessed

Okay, okay, my latest obsessh is this whole Opal plagirism, packaging, big publishing gone ape-business.

::sigh:::

It's like Reality TV. You swear you'll only watch this one season and then BAM, five seasons later you're still ticking off names of contestants and results.

The latest?

Opal's being pulled from the shelves and I heard the potential film adapted from the book, no more.

But I couldn't resist re-posting these two interesting articles from Slate.

The first is one writer's fling with Alloy, Opal's packager:

I Coulda Been A Pretender

The other, Ann Hulbert's take on the whole issue of packaging teen lit:

How Kaavya Got Packaged And Got Into Trouble

Look, I swear I will not devote another post to this debacle.

I mean...today.

2 Comments:

Blogger Disco Mermaids said...

Gotta admit, it is pretty fascinating stuff. I wonder if she has to give part...or all...of the advance back. After all, they usually have authors sign something saying that the work is all their own.

- Jay

10:57 AM

 
Blogger Paula said...

I'm willing to bet they won't. I think this thing is pretty convoluted and she's not the ONLY one at fault. If they ask for the advance it would be saying she's the only one to blame...and maybe LB and Alloy don't want to quite take it that far, lest someone use the phrase "exploitation."

9:51 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home