Getting published is a real be-yatch! Hear about my ups, downs and a few random rants in between.

Tuesday, March 14, 2006

An Ex-Real Worlder Gets Real

Okay, in all fairness to Kevin Powell, he is far more than an ex-member of the Real World. But the headline: Kevin Powell Runs for Congress would have an elicited a steady stream of, "who?"

It's been nearly 15 years since Kevin Powell was the "angry" black guy on the original Real World. He was the one who got up in country-bumpkin Julie's face, resulting in her being "afraid" of him.

That was when the Real World was way more sociological infotainment then reality tv train wreck.

Since then, Kevin has gone on to become a tireless activist, author of six books and contributor to pubs like Newsweek, Essence and Vibe. One of the few Real Worlders with credentials in the real world!

Now Kevin has decided to take his advocacy all the way to DC by running for a seat in the United States Congress in the 10th Congressional District in Brooklyn, New York.

If you have no idea who Kevin Powell is, have never read any of his insightful and often poignant essays/articles, never saw the passion in his gut as a young, reality tv pioneer - treat yourself.

He's seeking donations for his campaign. Pols gotta raise money, ya know?

I'm not a very political animal. But I've followed Kevin's career and am in awe of his drive, ambition and success. As a fellow writer, I applaud the way he's used the written word to speak out against injustice. And as a member of the MTV generation, I'm proud that he stands as a symbol of the power of that medium to propel a message (even if it's far and few between of late).

If you live in the Big Apple, pass the word. Consider supporting an established writer about to spread his wings in the political arena.

Kevin, good luck brah and much success on the road to Capitol Hill!

8 Comments:

Blogger Disco Mermaids said...

I used to love the Real World. Back then, in the first few seasons, it really did seem like a sociological experiment (much more so than the current Real World). And I have read some of Kevin's work...it'll be very exciting to see what happens. I think he'd do great.

- Jay

10:16 PM

 
Blogger Paula said...

Man, wasn't it a great show to watch then? Now it's just about who's going to hook up with who in the hot tub.

I figure it like this - if an actor can be president and the Terminator can be Gov, Kevin should be able to do this with ease.

Love America!

10:35 PM

 
Blogger wimpymom said...

Being a big Real World fan I am glad that someone has gone on to greater things other than star in ANOTHER reality show or date someone who's starred in a reality show. I've loosely followed Kevin's career and although, for me, it took some time to really believe he was actually about something, I eventually turned into a believer and quite glad he is running. If I HAD to pick one person from any season, he'd be the one. Either him or Puck.-haha (I still can't get the thought of him sticking his nasty finger in the peanut butter out of my head-LOL)

1:50 PM

 
Blogger Paula said...

True that! I think a few others have moved on to real lives, as well. The one girl who was a Deputy Sheriff. The other who became a Doctor.

Unfortunately, only the ones who have made being a Reality TV star i.e. unpaid actor, their career get any real attention.

1:57 PM

 
Blogger Jill Monroe said...

Wow - I loved that first Real World. Good to know what's going on. I'm pretty sure I spotted Kevin doing journalism for VH-1 a few years back.

You hit the nail on the head with the train wreck comments - now, TRW is more like watching a Girls Gone Wild Video!

2:18 PM

 
Blogger Paula said...

Mujer, was it "I'm real passionate about this issue,that's why I'm going" or something else?

Just curious.

7:47 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Kev is NOT ready for Congress.
He should see if he could handle something like a board of education in a smaller town, not a city.

His personal issues are off the hook.
If you need to reference them just google -Jimi Izrael-Kevin Powell

Read Jimi Izrael's blog.

3:36 AM

 
Blogger Paula said...

Anon thanks for a link to the other side. I read both of Jimi Izrael's post on Kevin. Interesting. Also, liked that he tried to balance his own viewpoint.

6:50 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home