Getting published is a real be-yatch! Hear about my ups, downs and a few random rants in between.

Monday, December 04, 2006

In a blink of an eye...

Most cliches spring from truth. And the concept that things can change "in a blink of an eye," is so true of my life since I began writing semi full-time.

Putting semi seems like a joke. Some days I don't write at all. Other days it's all I do. Come to think of it, that kind of describes my regular FTJ too.

But looking back - and that's what happens at the end of the year, doesn't it? Reflection is inevitable.

Looking back, not just this year but three years back when I was laid off from my cushy, corporate PR job, things have changed a lot.

Four years ago, today, I was hopefully optimistic that I could launch a successful writing career. I took a leap of faith, took time off from the corporate sector, and freelanced.

Needless to say going from corporate to freelance is as close to poverty as I care to get. And, I'm not exxagerating that it's pretty close. If it weren't for the hubster's income that year, my writing income put me well below the national poverty line.

Still, it was an exciting time to have the guts to think I could make something of my writing skills.

Two years ago, I was thisclose to snagging an agent for my YA series before being rejected. I went into a small stupor and it took a few months to get back on the submission horse.

A year ago, I was sitting on pins and needles cursing the slowness the holiday time brings to publishing, as my book sat at four publishing houses awaiting approval/rejection/attention.

2006 has, without doubt, been the longest.year.of.my.life.

It's impossible to comprehend that it was only February that Kensington acquired So Not The Drama.

That it was only June that I felt like I was going to drown under my deadline, which came at the same time as cheer tryouts and my family's annual vacation.

All of those feel so far away. Maybe that's why it feels like a blink of an eye.

Although, there was no literal blink of an eye change in my life once I acquired an agent or sold the book. And I doubt there will be once the book is released.

I've heard over and over how ordinary R-Day is. Even if I wake up wanting to shout, Hello, World, you can buy my book today! Everything will still be the same. I'll still have to get up and get the kids off to school. I'll still have to come to the FTJ.

And yet...life will be different. Not "I'm famous" different. But adding the responsibilities of being an author to my already full plate will be a daunting task, no doubt.

My weekends will be full of promo events. I already have some confirmed and quite a few pending.

I have a feeling our truck's mileage will double.

Identifying how often the fam can travel with me, and how to make it work when they do is a chore I've already begun to undertake.

I'll have to find a way to make life as an author (post publication)as normal as life as an author pre-pub. I know from my experiences with writing that I can easily, easily be consumed by this career because I love it.

Note: I do not have that same problem with the FTJ.

The thought of life once the book hits shelves makes me smile, because I'm glad to finally move to that next step.

But the not knowing what/how things will happen is scary.

Just how much will life change when the book is out?

Someone should write a book about it...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home