Getting published is a real be-yatch! Hear about my ups, downs and a few random rants in between.

Wednesday, May 31, 2006

O No, The Fight's Out

When I read about Fifty Cent putting Oprah on blast because of the lack of rap acts on her show, I laughed. Surely Fiddy had more important things to do than worry about getting time on a show that caters primarily to women who, I'll take a wild guess and say, aren't buying hip hop in record numbers.

But now Ice Cube has thrown his mic in the ring.

I'm taking the issue more seriously, now.

Sorry, Fifty. You're just one of many rappers who experienced wild success with your debut - but you haven't proven your staying power enough for me. Oprah having him on her show would be nothing more than hyping up an already hyped up, yet still relatively young (in the game, at least) rapper/actor.

Cube is another story, for longevity alone. Fiddy, holler at a sister when you've had as long in the rap and/or movie biz.

Fifty and
Ludacris have gone on record to say the O ignores the success and grind of hip hop's finest, while embracing more, ahem, mainstream black entertainers.

First, mad props to them for taking on the most powerful media mogul in the world. Even if Oprah isn't paying much attention to hip hop, overall, it's a risky thing to take her on. Television and print media are her playground. Everyone else is just a kid trying to get some time on the monkey bars.

But does hip hop have a point?

First, let's get this out of the way - it's her show and she can have on who the hell she wants. I know, I know.

But, hip hop is a viable and lucrative genre of music. How can she turn a blind eye to it? Surely there are some issues within hip hop Oprah could take on and bring a little mainstream validation.

Or does hip hop want that?

See, it's confusing. Hip hop prides itself on being counter culture. At least it was one time. Why would the streets care if Oprah shouts them out?

When Cube came out with NWA, back in the day, they would have been labeled straight up sell-outs if they ended up on Oprah's coach crying about growing up in Compton. "See Oprah, there were these drive-bys and...wait, I need a second."

Cue Oprah handing Cube a tissue.

O'Shea Jackson actually isn't a product of the hood. He grew up in a middle class burb of LA. Which is actually another reason I'd think Oprah would be more interested in his story.

If she's trying to avoid the blood and guts of hip hop, there are automatically some acts she'll take a pass on (that's you, Fiddy). But spurning Ice Cube during the promotion of Barbershop? That's a head scratcher.

Another head scratcher, Oprah having Karrine Steffans, a self-proclaimed video ho - maybe she doesn't call herself that but that's her claim to fame - on one of her shows about self-esteem. See how prominently Oprah's name is on the front page of Karrine's website?

The power of O!

But, ummm...Oprah? Did you read Karrine's book? The only time her self-esteem suffered was when some dude who she...ah...served, refused to pay her rent. She wasn't one bit worried about self-esteem or pride when she was out pleasuring hip hop glitterati and getting jewels, trips and furs for it.

Karrine was repping hip hop while promoting the book, Superhead, because hip hop was what fed her, paid her rent and had her jet-setting the world.

Why that image of hip hop on Oprah and not a successful, multi-platinum rap artist/writer,actor and producer of a very successful movie series?

I don't get it either. But hey, who am I to question the O?

She doesn't book YA authors on her show or promote them in any significant way, either. Guess me and Fiddy gotta find another way to push units.

6 Comments:

Blogger Don Tate II said...

Like I read in one article, I think these guys, at least Ice Cube, makes these comments to draw attention to themselves. I haven't been on Oprah either. Maybe if I complain to the press, I'll get some attention and sell alot of books. Rap/Hip Hop needs to clean itself up first.

9:12 PM

 
Blogger Paula said...

My question is who are they trying to get attention from? Seriously, what fan of 50 Cent cares if he's on Oprah? And what new fan does he seriously think he'll attract if he does appear on her show?

If I saw one of Oprah's audience members pumping 50 Cent while cruising, I'd throw my CD out the window (if I owned a 50 Cent CD, which I don't).

Her show, as a promo vehicle, is a disconnect all around when it comes to most hip hop artists.

I believe that Ice Cube, b/c he's now as deep in the movie biz as he was in the music biz, has a more valid argument. Cube hasn't been a controversial hip artist in a million years - his beef about not getting any time on O, while Cedric and Eve did, for B-Shop, has way more potential as a true argument then Fiddy!

2:08 PM

 
Blogger wimpymom said...

I feel torn with this issue. The point of a television show is for it to have viewers. How do you do that? You cater to your demographics and I have to say, Oprah's demographics are hardly the same people that listen to hardcore rap. At the same time, I am so sick of seeing those same people who have hit shows(Desperate Housewives) or shows that are leaving the air. (Seinfeld, Will and Grace, Frasier, etc.) I should say those BIG shows that are leaving the air b/c I hardly expect to see some of those casualties of UPN appearing on Oprah-lol

12:37 PM

 
Blogger Paula said...

b/c I hardly expect to see some of those casualties of UPN appearing on Oprah-lol

I know that's right.

It's safe to say that Oprah's show has long been a constant stream of things that picque her particular interests. And if you have the power to do that vs. having to book people based on the current "hot" list, why not? Eh?

Fifty, Ice Cube and Luda should probably call Tyra. LOL.

1:27 PM

 
Blogger Miz JJ said...

Oprah's show caters to middle class white women. Why would she have rappers on her show? Plus, many of their lyrics are blatantly misogynistic. Is she just suppose to ignore that and pretend it's all good. Like the music that 50, Luda and Cube make isn't misogynistic? She's a black woman who doesn't stand for that crap. They should recognize. She's a billionaire.

11:15 AM

 
Blogger Paula said...

MizJJ, I agree on the hip hop front.

The only issue I feel has some validity is where Oprah may stand on not having Ice Cube on to promote his fam-friendly movies, if she's so inclined.

But on the music tip - you're 100% right.

1:40 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home