Getting published is a real be-yatch! Hear about my ups, downs and a few random rants in between.

Tuesday, September 19, 2006

Studio 60...I likes, I likes!

Any show that starts out with a rant from Judd Hirsch (loved Taxi!) and a spotlight on writers (even though they’re not novelists –darnit, when do we get our break?) is alright with me.

Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip was pretty good. And I usually hate watching pilots.

I make it a point to miss the pilot of just about any show. They’re never as good as the show’s potential. Half the time I wish they’d can the pilot and start from the fifth episode. But I enjoyed Studio 60.

Maybe because it’s about thirty-somethings mid-career. Not like I can relate…okay, I can totally relate!

I watch a lot of programming where the average age of the actor is about 23. So yeah, it’s cool seeing a show where the actors involved may actually remember when Saturday Night Live (the type of show Studio 60 is based on) was hilarious and not just begging for laughs and inconsistently funny.

Matthew Perry, thanks to a half dozen or so mediocre movies like Fools Rush In and The Whole Nine Yards, is quite believable in a drama. Or is it a dramedy? These days it’s hard to tell.

His face is post-rehab doughy and slightly distracting. Remember how spooky skinny he got after going into rehab that last season or so of Friends? Well, not anymore. Outside of that, I’m totally buying him as a struggling writer looking for break-through success.

Amanda Peet as the new network President is a nice twist. Female prez, doing her thing. Though…someone help me out. If she’s the President and Steven Weber was the Chairman, how come he seemed not even slightly powerful?

My favorite line, and the one which made me question Weber's strength, was Amanda Peet's response to Weber's "It's my balls on the line."

HER: "I can count on one hand the number of people here who are even slightly interested in your balls."

Oh sure, his comeback was something along the lines of "Yeah well...I'm the boss...so there!"

Okay, so he didn't say that. But his response was equally as weak.

They wrestled back and forth for the upper hand, the entire ep, and he never had a chance!

Face it, she de-balled him. Unless he cracks some serious whip, he's a figurehaed in my eyes from here on in.

I’m definitely tuning in next week.

Oh, but for the record – I’m not happy at all about Medium being moved. It was moved because of Studio 60, which is enough reason for me to hold a grudge against the show.

I could. But I won’t.

Obviously, NBC is trying hard to make a comeback and become relevant to television again. They’ve finally figured out that Celebrity Fear Factor is not the way to bring in huge numbers!

They've moved Medium to Sundays and me no likey!

In case anyone at NBC is listening – my Tuesdays are booked with Dancing with the Stars and Nip/Tuck; Wednesdays will be completely absorbed by America’s Next Top Model and Project Runway, which leaves Thursday.

Yes, Thursdays look good if you wanna reconsider sticking Medium there.

Permission granted!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home